Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Refinishing an Antique Table

Just what I love to see
I stumbled upon this lovely dining table street-side behind a warehouse in my hometown. After rescuing it, I noticed a hole drilled right through it, scratches and dings on the table top --nothing I couldn't fix. This was a huge score for anyone who appreciates a fine piece of furniture and knows a thing or two about handy work. To begin, I filled in the holes with wood filler and rough sanded the table top. This helped to remove what was left of the sealant and even out scratches. In the beginning I wanted to stain the table but due to imperfections in the grain of the wood I decided my best bet was to paint it. I experimented with a dark grey shade of Valspar paint called almost charcoal, and applied with a foam brush. After, I used wet sandpaper to even out the brush strokes and applied a coat of clear lacquer on top of that. I repeated this process two or three times to ensure a good cover and smooth finish. I left the underside of the table cherry wood because for one, it was completely undamaged but also to leave originality and give a sense of what the table once was.
The legs were painted as well, and the end caps were refinished metallic gold. This is a Duncan Phyfe style reproduction probably made in the 30's or 40's, now updated and ready for a whole new era.

No comments:

Post a Comment