Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Momma's Vintage Desk Makeover

Before
After
This desk was found in a Goodwill looking pretty scary. I made a few changes and was able to create a completely usable and original writing desk for my mom to use. I loved the original patina as it was but it just needed a little tweaking. I got ahold of some spray paint flat clear sealer and covered the entire lower surface of the desk. After washing out any critters that may have been living in the drawers, I sprayed the hose and let the sun dry everything out. I relined them with a leafy green pattern drawer paper. 
The remaining linoleum desktop was peeling and completely deteriorating. I replaced it with a wood veneer specially cut from Lowes, and stained it chestnut to match this really awesome chair my mom already had.
This style desk is at least 50 years old, maybe older, and it's age shows. I wasn't going for 'perfect' but more like 'charming' because that's what give it character!

No comments:

Post a Comment