Friday, June 28, 2013

Retro Sliding Cabinet Overhaul

I bumped into this mid century book case, littered with gardening and hardware tools, at a thrift shop. I didn't immediately notice it in its messy condition but I quickly determined that it was retro and needed to become mine.


I picked out Valspar shades Silver Fox blue and metallic gold spray paints. I started by dismantling the unit and cleaning each piece with a bucket of warm water, wet 320 grit sandpaper and a rag to prepare for paint. This shade of blue is almost perfectly fitting for the era and I accented the hardware with gold just to break up the color. 
This piece is originally a room divider from the 60's style mod. The sliding cabinet is sized to house old 45 records. I love this piece. It holds history! 


Before

No comments:

Post a Comment